Tuesday 6 November 2018

A Season Soon Ends


The golfing season is rapidly coming to its end. My home course at Hartlen Point officially closes next Monday and a long winter looms. I am certainly going to miss it. This year I did not get as many games in as I have in the last few years. That was mostly due to other important things going on like the visit of our family for most of July and the weather in May and October was not all that conducive to golf.

A few days ago I had a cursory look at this year's performance stats and there is a distinct decrease in the positive numbers recorded for my games. Other than 2004, when I spent more than a year struggling with a knee injury, my stats and handicap rating have steadily improved (although marginally in recent years).  For the first time since 2004, my golf is in decline.   This year I have had no back problems (which have often affected my play in the past) nor have I had any other health issues.  My health has not been a problem.  This year I seem to be hitting the ball off the tee as well as I have done in previous years but my ability to get the ball on the green from within 50 yards is now non-existent. If I do not have a full swing at the ball I will invariably flub the shot. Very frustrating. Definitely an aspect of my game I need to practice.

I believe it is just the fact that I am getting older and my body just does not function as well as it used to.  I have noticed that I am a little more tired at the end of a round and generally not as limber as I once was. Hey, I'm 71 and I suspect that is not going to get any better but, hopefully, my decline will be slow and that my good health will continue.

Already, I am looking forward to next year when I can work on my short game.


No comments: