Tuesday 7 February 2012

iPad Apps


It has been a long and boring winter so far. The weather has been good which has allowed me to get out for my walks but I still spend a lot of time at home with a surplus of idle time. To fill much of that time I have been spending some of it exploring the world of iPad Apps. With hundreds of thousands of Apps to view, there seems to be no end of things to look at. Many of them are free but are just teasers to purchase the "full" version or just port to other paid services. Additionally, many of them are poorly designed or just plain crap. However, there are also some very useful Apps that are really well designed and helpful. I was watching golf this weekend on TV and also had my iPad flashed up with a PGA App which gave me an up-to-the-minute display of the entire leaderboard highlighting the players in which I was interested. Very neat.

I also found a free App called Pho.to Lab which had a number of interesting effects that you could apply to images. A lot of the effects were pretty tacky (well maybe all of them are) but some were very clever. Here is a sample of one that I thought that looked pretty good. This was a picture of my granddaughter Isla that was taken a few weeks ago. With the Pho.to Lab iPad App, it was a very simple process to create this image which gives it the effect that the image was a painting from the Renaissance framed and on the wall of some museum (double click on the image for a better veiw). 

No comments: