Tuesday 17 January 2012

Floaters & Flashes


A month or so ago, I had a visit with my doctor and, amongst other things, expressed concern that my hearing was not as it once was.  She suggested that I have a hearing test and her staff proceeded to set up an appointment for me with a local Otolaryngologist (an Ear Nose and Throat guy).  A couple of weeks later I get my appointment notification in the mail.  My appointment is in TEN months time.  I was not impressed but when I thought about it . . .  so what.  It was not an emergency that I see this guy so I definitely could wait ten months but my impression of the responsiveness of the medical system was tarnished.

On Saturday I was out for a walk and I stopped in at Tim Horton's for a coffee.  While sitting talking to some friends, there was something amiss with my vision.  Little dark spots were floating by.  I did not notice them on the walk home but that evening they were very distinct. Later, as I went to bed and with all the lights out, I experienced flashes of light when my eyes moved from side to side.  Needless to say, I was very concerned.

On Sunday morning the "floaters" were still there but the flashes were not visible in the light of day.  On Monday morning, Cathie called our family doctor and asked for an appointment ASAP.  She was able to get one for 2:40 PM that afternoon.  So off I went and my doctor examined me within minutes of my arrival.  She said I need to see an Ophthalmologist, got on the phone and arranged an appointment for me at 3:45 PM that afternoon to see one.  At around 4:15 PM, eyes dilated, I was sitting in the chair of an Ophthalmologist with him staring intently into my right eye.  As it turns out I have just experienced something which is not uncommon for someone of my age and who is near-sighted.  It is called Posterior Vitreous Detachment and it happens to 75% of people over the age of 65.  It is not treatable and, other than the floaters (which should become less noticeable in a few weeks), it should not affect my vision.  It was important to see the Ophthalmologist to ensure that my retina was not disturbed or torn, which it was not.  I was much relieved, but this getting old business has its moments of despair.

All this is to say that my faith in the responsiveness and effectiveness of the medical system is restored.   And there is another thing.  Throughout this entire process I did not have to bring out my wallet for any kind of payment.  We Canadians are a very fortunate people.

No comments: